Director – Institutional Business Development and Client Services
We are seeking a senior institutional business development and client services professional within a boutique investment adviser focused on emerging markets.
The position is designed as a full-time role (exempt status).
The firm is located in Larkspur, California. Travel will be necessary, estimated at 10 – 15 weeks per year.
This position will report to Seafarer’s Managing Director of Business Development and Client Services.
The Director will be a senior member of Seafarer’s business development and client service team. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Servicing of Seafarer’s client base, including ongoing efforts to communicate and meet with existing and prospective clientele. Long-term success will be defined by the quality, depth and stability of the client relationships.
- Manage Seafarer’s efforts to build AUM via institutional clients including foundations and endowments, institutional consultants, and sub-advised clients.
- Strategic planning and management. Must be able to organize the business area, including development of business plans, strategic resource allocation, and benchmarking against performance targets.
- Create and execute a detailed business plan for Seafarer to leverage existing capabilities to better address defined contribution, defined benefit, DCIO, sub-advised, insurance and other retirement client types.
- Contribute to select projects and resources associated with business development and client service, potentially including the RFP process, CRM, and consultant databases.
- Provide input into Seafarer’s marketing and communication efforts.
- Provide input into Seafarer’s product development efforts, particularly products targeted channels.
This position requires:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s degree, CFA, CIMA® and/or CFP® preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience in a similar or related position, with first-hand experience interacting with institutional investors, sub-advised partners, and/or investment consultants. Must demonstrate strong knowledge of distribution methods, operations, gatekeepers, and service parameters for each channel.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Series 6 or 7 and 63 licenses.
- Candidate must demonstrate entrepreneurial drive and a strong work ethic. Must work well within a small company and a dynamic environment.
- Candidate must demonstrate an ability to think and plan strategically, setting a strong foundation for a business development and client service effort that will grow.
- Asset allocation expertise: candidate must have knowledge and understanding of how to discuss and / or influence global asset allocation decisions with sophisticated institutional clientele. Must have a broad understanding of the financial planning and asset allocation landscape, inclusive of alternative investment products (e.g. mutual funds, ETFs, separate accounts, private funds, hedge funds).
- Professional experience and / or analysis of emerging markets highly preferred; foreign language skills also preferred.
- The ideal candidate will embody the highest levels of integrity, professionalism, and attention to detail, combined with a drive to build a company of lasting value.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
- In the email subject line, include your name and the position title (Director – Institutional Business Development and Client Services).
- Please do not call, and do not utilize any other email address.