We are seeking an individual to help manage several key business functions – focused on Fund Administration, Technology, Business Continuity, and Human Resources and Premises – within a boutique investment adviser focused on emerging markets.
This is an ideal role for someone seeking to gain management and leadership experience in the investment industry. The role will provide valuable exposure to the strategic and operational considerations necessary to run a boutique investment advisory firm. Responsibilities for this role may evolve and expand over time along with the individual’s professional development.
The position is designed as a full-time role (exempt status).
The firm’s office is located in Larkspur, California. The Business Manager is required to be located in California. The position will involve both in-office and remote work. Domestic travel may be necessary, estimated at 1-2 weeks per year.
This position will report to Seafarer’s Vice President.
The Business Manager will contribute to four key functions within the firm, as described below. Long-term success is defined by significant contributions to these functional areas. The Business Manager will work with several members of the firm’s administrative team (e.g. CEO, CFO, Chief Compliance Officer, and Communications Manager), as well as external consultants (e.g. HR, technology, legal).
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Fund Administration
- Coordinate projects with fund service providers, including fund administrators and custodians
- Support communications with advisory clients, such as reporting to the Seafarer Funds’ Board of Trustees, and contribute to the review of fund regulatory documents
- Review fund expenses and proactively identify potential cost savings
- Contract negotiations: work with outside counsel to review and negotiate agreements with third parties, such as service providers
- Oversee fund distributions
- Serve on the firm’s Valuation Committee
- Document and update Seafarer’s technology and information security policies
- Manage the firm’s IT consultant and delegate tasks as necessary. Help escalate user issues when needed
- Proactively identify technology best practices and ensure that Seafarer’s technology infrastructure remains excellent
- Organize cybersecurity trainings for the Firm and oversee an annual cybersecurity audit by an external consultant
- Business Continuity
- Organize annual business continuity testing
- Update the Firm’s business continuity policies and documentation and proactively identify business continuity best practices
- Monitor the Firm’s business continuity technology infrastructure
- Document business continuity events upon completion
- Human Resources and Premises
- Organize recruitment, new employee onboarding, performance reviews, trainings, and team meetings
- Oversee the firm’s HR consultant and delegate tasks as necessary
- Update HR documentation and policies and proactively identify new HR regulatory changes and best practices
- Manage Seafarer’s office and serve as a primary liaison with property management
This position requires:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- MBA, Master’s degree, CFA, CIMA and/or CFP® are not required, but are preferred.
- Three years of work experience in the investment management industry or ancillary industries (e.g. finance technology, regulations and compliance, financial marketing and distribution).
- Understanding of the investment management industry. Knowledge of mutual fund structure, financial markets, asset allocation, financial advisory practices, and segments of the wealth management industry.
- Desire to learn, entrepreneurial drive and strong work ethic. This position requires working across a wide variety of topics and areas. The individual must work well within a small company and a dynamic environment.
- Preference for those who can demonstrate experience and acumen in the following functional areas: fund administration, technology, and human resources.
- Strong relationship management and organizational skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Timeliness, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Highest levels of integrity and professionalism, combined with a drive to build a company of lasting value.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
- In the email subject line, include your name and the position title (Business Manager).